Saturday, July 15, 2006

Things I wished someone would have told me as a child…
When I was growing up as a little girl in the inner city, I never thought that I grew up in the hood. Being there with people that I both trusted and that were familiar was just a common thing. I wasn’t a big TV fan, but when I did watch soaps with my grandmother, I knew that I wanted that kind of life they had--the kind of life that afforded me with choices, variety, options.


I like most children back then, thought that was only to be a dream. We were told by those adults in our atmosphere that we would be limited to the things that we could do and have because in their minds things were simply not as simple as our minds told us they were as children. As an adult I’ve found that for the most part, we were on to something as children.
That belief that anything is possible is true. We simply have to continue to believe that never wavering until it’s so resonant in our spirit that it causes us to rise up and do what is necessary for those things to be accomplished. I have come to realize that no one or anything can hold me back. If I set myself in agreement with G-d to do the impossible, I will. No one ever told me that as a child. I wish they had.

People always presented obstacles and reasons why the things that I wanted to do would be either hard or next to impossible. Tell me where is that in the word? The word tells me that if you can believe all things are possible to him that believeth(Mark 9:23). The word tells for as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). Genesis 1:26, Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34 tells me that I am a mini G-o-d. That means I have the capacity to create the life I want with my words, thoughts and my actions. The even sadder thing is that those scriptures are all based spiritual principles reserved for the church, yet the world is using them and being successful where we are failing.

Another thing that G-d had to teach me was that I am not being selfish if I am not willing to compromise to the point of my displeasure. How am I benefiting from you being happy but I’m miserable? People try to make you feel guilty and selfish if you think of yourself too much. The scripture says to love my neighbor as I love myself (Leviticus 19:18, Matthew 22:39). How am I loving me if I am hindering my peace and my happiness for your sake? No that’s me loving you. The thing I need to do is please G-d because if I please him, then I will be pleased and you can benefit from his pleasure of me. G-d does not have a problem with us being selfish if it compromises us in the process. He promises us happiness (Psalm 128:2). People think he doesn’t--but I guess all the things he did for Adam--planting the garden in Eden, coming to walk and talk with him in the cool of the day, bring him the mate that was in him (I.e. what was in his mind-using his rib to do it) that was all just some things he did for fun. He created the life that most of us are seeking now--one with peace, fulfillment, no lack, shortage or insufficiency. The life we like to refer to as “the good life”.

I have learned from my life of settling (because that’s what I have done all my life because I listened to people and not G-d) is that the things that I want--the type of mate I desire, the kind of car I want, the life I want to live, the type of clothes I want to wear--those things are from G-d. They are the vision that he has given to me. What I see with my eyes closed (and often now open) are my hidden roadmap to creating the life he designed for me. It doesn’t matter what my life looks like now because the things that I see are facts--they are not truth. The only truth that exists is what G-d says and shows to me. I simply have to wait until my facts are swallowed up by his truth. No one ever told me that. I wish they had.

The one thing I won’t be doing with my kids is telling them that things are impossible or reasoning with them why something won’t or can’t happen. I had to even learn how to not tell them no to things. I simply tell them, agree with me and in the right time and season, we’ll get it. They know that what ever they believe it can and will happen if they seek G-d for his plan of how to get that thing accomplished. I also won’t tell them to settle. They will never hear the words you can’t have all of what you want, you’ll have to let some things go. Oh, no they won’t get the “settle” speech from me. If they want it, it exists somewhere--all they have to do is be willing to wait until it’s time for them to have it.


Be Blessed.
Chosen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home