Thursday, July 06, 2006

Appreciating life’s trials…Understanding their purpose.
To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. John 18:37b
Every day I learn something new. Whether it is about G-d, his word, or myself. I am always grateful because that’s an area in my life that no longer consists of darkness but now has light. I can’t tell you how far and how long it took me to get here. I used to hate having to go through anything because I felt like now that I am the kingdom I should be exempted from any form of suffering. I understood that Jesus was our example, but he volunteered and I didn’t feel as though I had signed on for that.
Over a period of time I have come into the understanding that within everything there is a greater purpose. In understanding that It allows me to turn my focus from what I am experiencing now so that I can look forward to where I am going. Meditation and imagination are very important to the faith process. When G-d formed the world her never focused on what was, only on what he wanted to see. Likewise when we experience things, the first thing we need to ask G-d is to ensure that I get the lesson from all that I go through. This has been a great challenge for me as the first thing I tend to do is try to figure out what I did wrong first and then of course I come back to myself and begin the process of faith. With some things, I have been known to complain as well. I have to catch myself, because for me I have a tendency to ask G-d “Didn’t I go through enough as a child?” Dang! At this age I should be enjoying peace and quiet. But I am reminded in Hebrews 5:8 that even Jesus learned obedience by the things that he suffered. If he’s my example, then these things have a purpose.
But my trials, setbacks and experiences have a greater purpose. You see the only way to truly trust someone is to have experience with that person over an extended period of time. That’s the only way you can truly be sure of who they really are. Likewise, with G-d the only way I can learn to truly trust him in all things is to have experience with him in all of these situations. With each new thing, I learn a different aspect of his character. That’s the purpose. I remember in Job, all of his friends were attempting to tell him what G-d would and would not do--they knew the law and what he had written. (If you check the record Job experienced Deuteronomy 28--the good first, and then the bad.) But because they lacked true intimacy with G-d, they didn’t truly know his character. I realized through those chapters that if I lacked real intimacy with him, his word would simply be a book--a historical document. I knew that I too would be able to quote some scriptures and really not understand what they meant because he told me. That’s the purpose.
Now I have the ability to give people a testimony with scriptures to back it all up. I was privy to a lady’s personal testimony of overcoming just the other day with the things that I am going though now and it really blessed me. Here I was expecting to be cleaning the bathrooms at church by myself, and here she comes. I knew that G-d placed her there just for me. Her testimony gave me rest in my spirit. When my SF got up the following night and went a little further in what she said, I not only have rest, but I have peace. Someday, I too will be sharing mine with someone else. That’s the ultimate purpose.
I can’t tell you how grateful I am for this time even if things get to a point of being uncomfortable. You see, I have made my relationship with G-d the model for all other relationships. Time and experience first--then trust. I had that thing backwards and I have come to regret those times. Besides, I realize that I have to want him in my corner more than anyone else. I used to look for validation in all the wrong places. Now, if G-d said it to me--the hell with what others think. His validation is all I need. All of it has shaped me into the person that I am. It’s shaped me for life and equipped me for ministry. Now, I truly understand the purpose.
Be Blessed.
Chosen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home